After Reading magento widgets blog you will be very happy to know, indeed it’s really worth reading this blog. yet another good feature develop by the magento called “magento widgets” may be very unknown / never explored / lack of information on this feature. Its really very good featured of magento. we can use this feature at several places in website.
Magento Widgets are nothing but front-end blocks with a predefined set of configuration options. These configuration options are displayed in a special form in the back-end panel. When a widget is being added or edited by a store owner. The ability to easily set widget configuration options allows for the full control of widget placement on a page to store owners.
It also Facilitate the ease of using custom frontend extensions even more by introducing this new concept of customisable Magento Widgets, which can help Magento contributors and commercial extension developers provide more control over the front-end extension behaviour and visual block placement to store owners.
You must be wondering where to use and how to use it? More details are as follows.
Different areas wherein you can use this are
1. Dynamic Information about product data in Marketing Campaign Landing Pages
2. Dynamic Information like Recently Viewed Items into Content Pages.
3. Promotional images block in different places, sidebar columns and other locations throughout the front.
4. Interactive elements and action blocks (external review systems, video chats, voting and subscription forms).
5. Alternative navigation elements (tag clouds, catalog image sliders)
6. Create interactive dynamic flash elements easily configured and embedded within content pages for enhanced user experience and lots more …
If time permits I will create few simple examples so that you can will help you to understand this feature in more detail. Just keep eagle eyes opens ;).
I have developed one small example Magento banner widget